4/08/2006

Welcome back to the 80s

I headed out on Tuesday night to Albuquerque to attend a CLE. I had lived there for a few years in the late 90s and was excited to get back and see all of my old friends. I met up with some on Wednesday and went for lunch. On our way to lunch, I saw a woman wearing a yellow double breasted jacket with shoulder pads that would have made the costume designers on Dynasty feel inferior. But wait, it's 2006, right? Not in New Mexico. Here, women still use curling irons so that they have ringlet framed faces. Late 80s clawed bangs, whether forward or back, are still in vogue. Hot rollers? Still sold at the Walgreens.

Last night I saw a woman at a bar wearing denim shorts, black hose, tan shoes, and some sort of strappy top without a back. I'm sure she thought she was very fashionable. No wonder I felt out of place wearing my pink toile western cut shirt that I bought in Buenos Aires. With a pair of leather pink Airbornes (also bought in BA). Suddenly, I'm the odd one?

As the old saying goes, "Welcome to New Mexico, please set your watches back 20 years."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home