5/21/2006

Reading Beats Interacting with People

I've always been a prodigious reader but lately I've either been reading voraciously or not at all. I bet I hadn't picked up a book since Christmas when all of a sudden I went on a buying binge and found myself with a mantle full of books to read. Here's what I've read in the past few weeks.

Sarah Vowell - Assassination Vacation. Great book especially because she takes a rather macabre subject and injects her brand of wry commentary. If you've ever had to pull off the highway to take a picture of the world's largest frying pan then this book is for you.

Alexandra Robbins - Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities. This is the book that perfectly crosses a sociological study of young women's behavior with the salaciousness of US Weekly. It was a bit too long though. It made me wonder if this is what sororities were like at Cornell.

Christopher Moore - A Dirty Job: A Novel. Crazy and wacky. Everytime I read one of his books I think ... hmmm ... crazy and fanciful. The two traits that make me both love and hate Christopher Moore books.

Sebastian Junger - A Death in Belmont. Ostensibly about the Boston Strangler, it's more of a commentary on race relations. For a while I went through a phase where I read a lot about serial killers. It made my mom worried ...

Steve Almond - The Evil B.B. Chow and other stories. This book is why people don't like short stories. I swear, if I ever meet Steve Almond, I will punch him right in the face (a la Annie Proulx (and I swear Greeth, I didn't take your Shipping News (why would I want it?))).

I'm now reading Sarah Waters' "Fingersmith" but only because the billing guy at our firm recommended it. I generally dislike English/Victorian novels but I though I would give this one a try.

Next up, is David Maraniss's "Clemente" about Roberto Clemente who was much more than a baseball player but more of an America hero. I'm very excited to read this, much the same way I was about Jane Levy's "Sandy Koufax" A Lefty's Legacy."

What can I say? I'm a gay man who loves baseball. Is that so wrong?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home